Orthodontics for Children in Bristol and Johnson City, TN
Dr. Mullins and the American Association of Orthodontists recommend that children see an orthodontist for an evaluation at age seven. Orthodontic problems such as cross bites, severe crowding, severe bite issues, or oral habits can cause significant problems and become more difficult to correct as your child continues growing. These can be addressed at an early age to help create a healthier dental situation, ultimately reducing the severity of problems in the teenage and early adult years.
Treatment for Children
If Dr. Mullins determines that your child would benefit from orthodontic treatment at a young age, he or she will go through Phase 1 treatment. Phase 1 treatment is done when there are several primary (baby) teeth present and the jaw is still developing and growing. This stage of treatment creates a better situation to improve your child’s overall dental development. Limited appliances are used and the goals are very focused on growth and habit issues.
Phase 2 takes place after Phase 1 and occurs after the majority of permanent teeth have erupted. Comprehensive treatment utilizing braces and functional appliances is used to address any remaining orthodontic problems and helps to put the finishing touches on your child’s smile.
During your child’s initial orthodontic evaluation, Dr. Mullins will explain all of the procedures in detail, provide an extensive amount of instruction and education, and keep you informed of your child’s progress every step of the way.
Making Orthodontics Fun
We understand that having to go through orthodontic treatment may cause anxiety for some of our young patients. We try to make your child’s experience positive, fun, and exciting by making it as interactive as possible!
- Smile Rewards and Kids Club patient rewards cards
- Mullins Orthodontic t-shirts and backpacks at the beginning of treatment
- Free Oral B electric toothbrush
- New braces colors at each appointment
- A bevy of treats when braces are removed
Orthodontics for Teens in Bristol and Johnson City, TN
When it comes to orthodontics for teens, Dr. Mullins and our team know that aesthetics are an important consideration. Many of our teen patients opt for our Clarity™ Advanced aesthetic braces. Along with our tooth-colored archwires and ties, they look awesome and are hardly noticeable. For teens who qualify for clear aligner treatment, we offer Invisalign Teen®.
If cooperation is an issue, we use many bite correcting appliances that eliminate the need for patient compliance, such as Herbst and Forsus appliances. This takes the pressure off teens who lose track of or forget to use removable appliances.
The Key to Success? You!
You are the most important part of your orthodontic treatment. Taking care of your teeth and braces is easier and less of a hassle than you may think. Dr. Mullins and our team will show you how easy it can be to brush and floss with braces, and will even throw in a free Oral B electric toothbrush!
Keep your orthodontic treatment progressing as planned by:
- Maintaining good oral hygiene to promote healthy teeth and gum tissue
- Avoiding sticky and hard foods to help keep your braces intact
- Wearing your appliances as instructed to achieve the best results
For all your hard work, you’ll not only get a great smile, but great prizes through our Smile Rewards program as well! Don’t forget to check us out of Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat!
Orthodontics for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
Common reasons why adults consider orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain, or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment options for adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today's orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
The main difference to remember when treating adults or children and teens, is that in younger patients the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.